Monday, September 16, 2013

The Great Gatsby (2013 Version)

My campus screened this recently as the Film Association's fall semester movie. I didn't have a chance to see it when it was out in theaters, so this was my first time seeing this version. I thought it was a pretty well-done adaptation. Though I haven't read the book recently, the plot points and symbols were all there, and you could tell that the director put a lot of thought into it. As a warning ahead of time, a lot of things happen when the film begins, such as a lot of camera movements, lots of color, and loud sounds/music. It's common with the director's (Baz Luhrmann) style to do this, but if you have not seen some of his films before, be prepared. I also thought it connected in an interesting way to Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge!, it had a lot of plot similarities and interesting choices of music. I think my only major critique is that Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio) and Daisy Buchanan (Carey Mulligan) didn't really have great chemistry, which kind of brought down the romance that's supposed to be present in the movie. On a positive note, I really enjoyed the soundtrack that was used. Each song fit so well with what went on in the movie, and I especially enjoyed the motif of the song "Together" by The xx that played mostly when Gatsby and Daisy were onscreen together. Overall, I thought it was a pretty good adaptation of the novel and I would recommend it to those who liked the book.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuQhprtLJ3k

No comments:

Post a Comment