Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

I saw this at midnight with a few of my good friends as a great way to end my birthday and because my friends and I are big fans of The Hobbit. Just a heads up though, this film picks up right where An Unexpected Journey ends, so I would highly recommend watching the first Hobbit movie before going to see this.

This movie was a great second part to The Hobbit trilogy. While the first film was light and on the happy side, this film goes darker. It explores the evil that was discovered in the first as well as explores the darkness that appears to be developing within each character. It was interesting to see how this contributed to the plot as a whole, and how you can see it affecting each character differently. I was especially impressed with the transition of Bilbo's character, going from the light and cheery hobbit and the growth he has in this film.

What was also great about this film was the action sequences and the new locations that appeared. The sequence in which the dwarves are floating in barrel is one of the best parts of the movie. A lot goes on during this, but the spectacle and the constant action kept me thrilled and on the edge of my seat. The locations of Lake Town and Mirkwood are standouts amongst the many locations that were studding and really added to the narrative. One of the other cool parts of this movie is the appearance of Smaug (played by Benedict Cumberbatch). The trailers of this film did a really good job of hiding Smaug's appearance, and when he finally appears in the movie, it is a sight to see. The entire sequence inside the mountain is really well done, and this in turn leads to a great conclusion of the film that makes you want to see the third film in the trilogy.

Overall, I really enjoyed this movie. It was a great sequel that had really cool action sequences and was all together a well-made movie. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoyed the first film, anyone who liked the LOTR trilogy, and anyone who is looking to watch a good fantasy movie.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfflhfn1W-o

No comments:

Post a Comment