Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

I just watched this a couple days ago as something to do and as an attempt to get someone to watch these movies with me. Out of my whole family, I'm the only one who really likes the Lord of the Rings. I'm not a big fan of hardcore fantasy films, but these films are few of the exceptions.

I thought this film was a much lighter and happier film in comparison to the LOTR trilogy. There were lots of comedic moments, mostly coming from the dwarves, that lightened the mood. One would think it would be really hard to keep track who's who in the 13 dwarves, but they were all very unique which made them easy to separate from one another.While I most likely couldn't name all 13 (even though most of them rhyme with others and such) for you right now, the film gravitates to showing the ones you need to pay most attention to or draws focus to ones that say important lines. The other characters in this film are also well-acted, I especially enjoyed the characters of Bilbo (played by Martin Freeman) and Radagast (played by Sylvester McCoy).

The action in this movie was also really well-done. While my favorite scene is the dinner scene when you meet all of the dwarves, my favorite action sequences would have to be the major chase between the main characters and an Orc pack as well as the scene with the goblins. I wish I saw it in 3D to truly appreciate the hard work that went into these sequences, but they are still really great to watch in 2D.

If you are a fan of the LOTR trilogy and/or a fan of the books, this movie fits right in. It's great to see some characters from the trilogy appear in this film, but it is also great to see new characters that are well-portrayed.  I will say though, if you have never seen the LOTR trilogy, do not feel like you have to watch those in order to understand this film. This film (and the next two that will follow) is a prequel to what happens in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. My mom has never seen the LOTR trilogy, so references and characters that are made and seen in this one did not resonate with her but also did not confuse her when watching this film. I do recommend watching the original trilogy if you are interested in them, though, because they are really good films and you appreciate the references that are made in this movie.

Overall, I really enjoyed this movie. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the LOTR trilogy and fantasy films.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDnYMbYB-nU

No comments:

Post a Comment